Trusted Guide to Houston
If you’re a travel nurse looking to spend some time in Houston, or you’re just passing through for the weekend and don’t plan on doing any doing any nursing in Houston, check out this guide our very own Trusted Nurse, Brittany Cline, put together for us!
Traveling, Living, and Nursing in Houston
Although I’ve spent plenty of time in Houston myself and now reside at Texas Children’s Hospital, I recently met with some other Trusted Nurses at Woosters Garden and asked them for some of their favorite spots!
- Xochi: located at the Marriott downtown. Great Oxacon food! Everything is based on mole and maize (corn).
- The Kitchen at The Dunlavy: super cute spot with decorative chandeliers that make you feel fancy, but the place is actually very inexpensive.
- Red Oak Cafe: if you are going down to Galveston, make a pit stop here. It’s only open for breakfast and brunch, but it’s definitely worth the stop!
- El Tiempo Cantina: this is my go-to Tex-Mex spot!
- Coltivare: located in the Heights; this is the best brick-oven pizza I’ve ever had! It has a great outdoor herb garden with fantastic service. There’s often a long wait, but it’s worth it.
- Fadis : an excellent Mediterranean food option.
- Voodoo Taco: delicious, affordable tacos.
- Common Bond: an incredible bakery that also has great french food.
- Pondicheri: tasty Indian fusion that really hits the spot!
- Empire Cafe: half-price cake slices on Monday nights as well as delicious Irish Coffees!
- North Italia: a fancier spot for an Italian date night or a fun girls/guys night out.
- Armadillo Palace: has great Texas vibes and live music!
- B&B Butchers: expensive steakhouse best reserved for special occasions. But delicious!
- Oporto Fooding House & Wine: a fun a tasty food and wine bar.
- Weights + Measures: casual neighborhood restaurant, bakery, and bar - great for larger groups.
- Local Foods: gourmet haunt with some great sandwiches and salads!
- Anvil: they have a Bible of cocktails, and. they. are. delicious. You might think that it's’ a bit pretentious, but the bartenders are super friendly mixologists.
- The Craft Cellar: they have a ton of beer to choose from, some of which you can’t find anywhere else. You can even get anything on draught canned to go. They also have an asian fusion restaurant that is amazing!
- Axelrad Beer Garden: a beer garden with hammocks! They have a bunch of beer that is locally crafted as well as a full bar with entertaining games to play. They also have Luigi’s Pizza, which is the best pizza in Texas. They sometimes host vendors that sell art and trinkets. It’s overall a pretty chill environment that’s also dog friendly.
- The Pastry War: a mezcaleria with really good micheladas and great margaritas. It’s the perfect place if you’re looking for a fun and unique atmosphere.
- Kirby Ice House: a double-sided, massive bar. Wednesday night is steak night - ribeye (16oz) $20 with two sides. Open seating. Indoor/outdoor.
- Truck Yard: rustic hub for beer, bar food, and live music. It also has indoor-outdoor seating and is dog friendly.
- 8th Wonder Brewery: a great brewery with cornholl and busts of the Beatles.
Coffee/Juice Shops (for a caffeine or health fix):
- Common Bond (mentioned above as well)
- Agora (also serves imported ales and wine)
- Catalina Coffee
- Black Hole Coffee House (also sells wine, beer, and food)
Parking & Tips for Getting Around Houston:
Parking can be a challenge sometimes, so I recommend parking near the med center downtown. You can use Spothero.com if you're looking for something closer! The METRORail (Metrail) is another good alternative.
- Buffalo Bayou: slow-moving river that takes you all the way to Memorial Park by bike.
- Sports! Astros, Rockets, and Texans games are amazing!
- Rooftop Cinema Club: located in downtown Houston, it’s an outdoor, modern version of a drive-in with headphones. They serve alcohol and food. Be warned: they don’t show new movies; only classics!
- Free Yoga in the Museum District!
- Underground Tunnel System in downtown Houston.
- And, of course, rodeos!
Whether you're planning a trip to Houston for a travel nurse assignment, considering going to nursing school or continuing your studies there, or just want to spend a fun weekend away, we hope to see you there soon!
For more, you can follow @365_houston on Instagram for events and further recommendations!