1. Submit an application for Licensure by Endorsement online
2. Pay the associated fees
3. Provide a valid United States Social Security Number
4. Provide proof of citizenship/legal presence
- If you are a United State citizen you need to mail in this checklist.
- If you’re a non-citizen you must mail in this checklist.
5. Submit a notarized copy of your current nursing license
- If your current state of licensure does not issue license cards or if the cards issued do not include effective dates, the board will accept a notarized copy of the online verification page (must reflect your name, license number, status, and effective dates) of the Board of Nursing in your current state.
You now qualify for a temporary permit and need to complete the remaining tasks before it expires in order to receive your permanent license.
6. Submit official transcripts
- You must request your nursing program to submit an official transcript to the Alabama Board of Nursing in a sealed envelope. Faxed transcripts are not accepted.
- You must have graduated from a nursing program that substantially meets the same educational criteria as Alabama nursing programs.
7. Submit documentation for continuing education
- You must submit documentation of having earned twenty-four (24) contact hours of continuing education within the past twenty-four (24) months.
8. Verification from your original state of licensure
- If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Alabama as the receipt of the verification.
- If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of License form to complete and submit to the Alabama Board of Nursing on your behalf.
9. Submit required documentation if you answered “yes” to any of the regulatory questions (if applicable).
- You must submit a detailed written explanation of the circumstances surrounding the event(s) which you are disclosing on your application. You must also submit additional supporting documentation.