Utah Nurse License Overview

Temp License:
BON website
(801) 530-6628


Endorsement Application: $90.00

Fees are the same for RNs and LPNs. 

How long does it take to get an Utah Nursing License?

Permanent License

Approximately 14 days upon receipt of all required materials.

UT License Renewal

  • Renewal cadence: Every 2 years. RN licenses expire on January 31st of odd-numbered years. LPN licenses expire on January 31st of even-numbered years. 
  • Renewal fee: $68. Renewal fees are the same for RNs and LPNs. 
  • Required contact hours: One of the following must be true:
    - 400 hours practice
    - Licensed practice for at least 200 hours and 15 hours of approved continuing education
    - 30 hours of approved education
  • The Utah Division of Public Licensing (DOPL) will mail a renewal notice to your address on file 60 days prior to expiration.
  • Nurses must also complete a suicide prevention training which can be found here

Important Things to Know about Utah Nurse Licenses

  • If you answered "Yes" to any of the questions on the Qualifying Questionnaire, additional documentation may be needed.
  • In order to apply for licensure by endorsement, you must have been licensed in another state for at least 1 year.
  • View the Utah BON’s FAQ section here
  • You can find more information on MSLs here
  • The fingerprint fee varies. The fingerprinting fee is an additional $10.00 through the FBI FIngerprint File Search and $20.00 through the BCI Fingerprint File Search.
  • If you do not have all the items submitted to the Board of Nursing within 30 days, your application will be denied.

UT Licensure by Endorsement


Permanent License

  1. Submit an application online and pay the fee. The process is the same for RNs and LPNs. 
  2. You will need a valid SSN. 
  3. Request verification of licensure via Nursys from at least one other state you are licensed in. If this state does not participate in Nursys, you will need to contact that state's BON and request verification be sent to the Utah BON.
  4. You must have a high school diploma or its equivalent and have completed a program and curriculum of education and training that meets the standards of the Utah BON. 
  5. Has passed an English proficiency examination (only applies to graduates of an international education program not taught in English or if English is not the individual’s native language).
  6. Provide a background check with fingerprints. Instructions for fingerprinting can be found here.
  • You can book your fingerprint appointment here, and fill out the online application here

Let's start building the life you want.

Join the movement