Download Process Pdf
1. Complete an application for Licensure by Endorsement online
2. Pay the associated fees
3. Complete Background Check -
- You must apply to the Department of Attorney General for a national background check supported by fingerprints.
- You can obtain your fingerprints out-of-state and they can be done electronically or by ink and card. The Rhode Island Board of Nursing just needs to receive your results.
4. Submit a Notarized Release form
5. Licensed verification - you must request verification from all other state boards in which a license was issued.
- If the state(s) participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Rhode Island as the receipt of the verification.
- If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Boards directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of Licensure form to complete and submit to the Rhode Island Board of Nursing on your behalf.
6. Submit the required documents if you answer “yes” to any of the following questions:
- Have you ever had any disciplinary actions taken or is any pending against your license to practice nursing, or any other licenses, registrations or certifications that you hold; or are any complaints pending in any state?
- Have you ever been convicted of a violation, plead Nolo Contendere, or entered a plea bargain to any federal, state or local statute, regulation, or ordinance or are any formal charges pending
- Have you ever held a nursing license in one of the following states: AL, CA, or PA? If yes, please send an email listing what state(s) you have held a license.
7. Proof of Rhode Island residency (if applicable)
- The proof is only required if your primary residence is going to be in the state of Rhode Island. You will need a copy of your driver’s license, tax-return or lease.