Download Process PDF
1. Submit an application online or mail in a completed by paper for Licensure by Endorsement (Typed or printed in blue/black ink. You will need to check the box on page 1 indicating that you desire a temporary permit and include page 4 (completed and notarized).
2. Your application must include all of the following:
- Include a photograph, approximately 2 ½ x 3 ½ inches, head and shoulders view, black and white or color, of professional quality.
- Submit the associated fee (made payable to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency)
- Include proof of current, active licensure in state or territory - including documentation of license expiration date. This can be a printout or a photocopy of your license.
- If you answer "yes" to any questions on page 2 of the application, explain fully in a statement that includes all related details. If you answer “yes” to any of the questions you will not qualify for a temporary license because the Board of Nursing will need the results from your background check.
- Enclose any documentation of any legal name change if your name differs from that on any of your documents (if applicable).
You now qualify for a temporary license and will need to complete the remaining tasks before your temporary license expires in order to receive a permanent license.
3. Verification of licensure from every state, territory, and country that you hold or have held a license, certificate, registration, or permit to practice nursing and/or any other regulated health occupation.
- If the state(s) participate in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Indiana as the receipt of the verification.
- If the state(s) does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Boards directly for further instructions. You will need to send them a Verification of License form (found here) to complete and submit to the Indiana Board of Nursing on your behalf.
4. Official transcripts
- If the state of your original licensure does not verify your education for other state Boards of Nursing you will need to provide official documentation of graduation from a state accredited program in nursing, provided directly to the Indiana State Board of Nursing from your nursing program. If the nursing program completed was in a territory that was not previously approved by a state board, the transcripts would need to be submitted directly to the board from the school for evaluation.
5. Complete your Complete Background Check
-Complete this step only after receiving notification from the Board of Nursing that your application has been received. If you completed a Complete Background Check prior to your application being received, you will be required to complete another.
-Once you receive the email