1. Create a profile online
2. Submit an application for Licensure by Endorsement online
- You must have a valid United States Social Security Number. Canadian Provinces are not accepted.
- Upload a copy of a current/valid government-issued photo identification (US Residency Card or Green Card, passport or driver’s license)
3. Submit a certified copy of your birth certificate
4. Pay the associated fees
5. Verify of original state license
- If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Louisiana as the receipt of the verification.
- If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them a Verification of License form to complete and submit to the Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners on your behalf.
6. Submit an official transcript from your practical nursing program
- This must be requested by you
- The school must mail the transcript directly to the board office
- If you are a new graduate, or do not have work history, the transcript must be detailed showing all courses with clock hours completed in every component of a course (theory and clinical) and the numerical grades earned for the course. The transcript must include instruction in IV therapy. If IV therapy was not included in the course curriculum, before eligibility for a temporary permit or issuance of a license is the state of Louisiana, applicant must complete an IV therapy course with a minimum of 12 clock hours.
- Upon completion, you must upload an original certificate of completion from the course provider. (The secure upload will be completed through the message center located within your nurse portal account.)
7. Submit a Complete Background Check
- A complete CBC packet consists of:
- Louisiana State Police/FBI criminal background check application
- Two (2) FBI fingerprint cards - If your local agency does not have FBI cards print this fingerprint form and bring it with you
- A money order payable to Louisiana State Police for the applicable fee
- Allow up to 12 weeks for processing. The results of the state and FBI background check will be sent directly to LSBPNE.