1. Submit a completed application online or submit a paper application (in black ink) for Licensure by Endorsement and check the box to indicate you wish to receive a temporary permit.
2. Pay the associated fees (money order or cashier’s check)
3. Submit at least one verification of licensure:
- Submit verification from the state, territory or province in which you were first licensed
- Submit verification from the state, territory or province that issued the license you are currently using to practice nursing.
*If the state in which you were first licensed is the same as the state in which you are currently practicing, you will submit one verification. If the state in which you were first licensed is different than the state in which you are currently practicing, you will submit two verifications.
- If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Minnesota as the receipt of the verification.
- If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of License form (p. 6 & 7 of the application) to complete and submit to the Minnesota Board of Nursing on your behalf.
4. Submit a Confirmation of Nursing Employment of Licensure by Endorsement form.
You now qualify for a temporary license and need to complete the remaining tasks before your temporary license expires in order to receive a permanent license.
5. Submit your fingerprints
- The Criminal Background Check program office will send you a fingerprint packet by email within 1-2 business days, follow those instructions and submit your fingerprints as soon as possible.
6. The Board will send you a letter if you need to report continuing education or successfully complete a refresher course.
- If you have not engaged in acceptable nursing practice for more than 5 years, you must successfully complete a refresher course that meets board criteria.