Download Process PDF
1. Complete an application for Licensure by Endorsement online
- You will need to complete the application for a temporary permit (will ask you during initial application if you want to apply for a temporary)
2. Pay the associated fees
3. Submit a photocopy of a current license bearing an expiration date
4, Submit completed criminal background check cards and fees (see below).
- You just need to submit the cards to the South Dakota Board of Nursing, the result can be pending.
You now qualify for a temporary license and you must complete steps 4 & 5 before your temporary license expires in order to receive a permanent license.
1. Complete the application for licensure by endorsement online
2. Official transcripts
- Have official transcripts with your grades and degree conferred sent directly from the nursing school to the South Dakota Board of Nursing office.
3. Complete a criminal background check.
- The South Dakota Board of Nursing will mail you a criminal background check packet with fingerprint cards that are required for you to use.
- You will have your fingerprints taken.
- You will mail in the completed packet which includes the fingerprint cards and associated fees.
4. Verification of original state of licensure
- If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate South Dakota as the receipt of the verification.
- If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of Licensure form to complete and submit to the South Dakota Board of Nursing on your behalf.
5. Employment verification – the number of hours you worked in the nursing profession (at least 140 hours in any 12-month period, or an accumulated total of at least 480 hours within the preceding 6 years).
- Have your previous or current employer complete the Employment Verification form and return it to the South Dakota Board of Nursing (mailed in or email).
- If you are a new graduate please indicate "new graduate" on the online application, you do not need to complete this form.
- If you are unable to provide verification, contact the South Dakota Board of Nursing concerning a Nurse Refresher Course.