You can apply online or mail in the completed application packet- the Board or Nursing indicates the process is significantly faster if you opt for the online route. The Board provides simple directions for applying online as well as directions for mailing in an application packet.
1. Complete an application for Licensure by Endorsement online or mail it in.
2. Pay the associated fees
3. Submit the request for a temporary license
4. Submit a recent 2” x 2” passport-type photograph of yourself
5. Fingerprints & Complete Background Check
6. Verification of license from all other state(s) or Canada must be received by the Board of Nursing.
7. Request for transcript form(s) completed and forwarded directly from the nursing school(s) with certified transcripts.
8. Documents and/or letters explaining prior convictions or disciplinary action and attesting to your rehabilitation (if applicable).
9. For international graduates - send a breakdown of the educational program for international nursing programs form to your school with the Request for Transcript form. Also, provide the Certified English Translation form to your certified translator if your transcript is not in English. (See Supplemental Application Instructions for International Graduates.)
Renewal of your license occurs every 2 years
30 required contact hours
You may work pending your license renewal providing that the renewal fee has been submitted timely and all renewal requirements have been met.
California does not participate in Nursys and if you need to verify your CA RN license, please follow the following steps.
1. Fill out the license verification form provided by the state in which you are seeking licensure. If there is no form, write and sign a letter of request on a blank piece of paper. Be sure either form you use indicates your CA RN license number, your current name, the name you used when you became licensed in CA and your birth date.
2. Main both the verification form and a check or money order of $100.00 to:
3. Allow 4 weeks for the request to be processed.
4. Allow another 2 weeks for the verification to be emailed to the receiving Board of Nursing.
5. If the receiving Board of Nursing indicates that they have not received the verification, wait 30 days (no more than 90 days) before reaching out to the California Board of Nursing.
6. After the 30 days, they will make another attempt and send a second email.