1. Fill out the application for Licensure by Endorsement (print legibly in black ink)
- Answer all the questions. If not applicable, indicate “N/A”
- Sign and date application
- Indicate a valid United States Social Security Number
2. Complete Self Query Report - through the National Practitioner Data Bank
- Once you get the report back you email it to the Hawaii Board of Nursing
3. Pay the associated fees
- Attach a personal check, money order, or cashier's check for the appropriate amount made payable to: COMMERCE & CONSUMER AFFAIRS.
4. Mail in your completed application to the Hawaii Board of Nursing
5. A completed original Verification of Employment form which must first be signed by your employer in Hawaii. Letters of hire will not be accepted.
6. Verification of all states where you hold or ever held a license
- If the state(s) participate in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Hawaii as the receipt of the verification.
- If the state(s) does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Boards directly for further instructions. They will need to submit an official Verification of License form to the Hawaii Board of Nursing on your behalf. You only need proof of mailing the verification form (a receipt of certified mail, copy of the canceled check for the verification fee)
- If you hold a license in a non-Nursys participating state and it is NOT your original state of licensure, you can just use their online system and print out your license verification and mail that in.
7. Submit to a FBI fingerprint check through the Hawaii Criminal Justice Data Center (HCJDC).
- To obtain a FBI national Criminal History Record check and the State of Hawaii Criminal History Record check, you will make an appointment online.
- And then you will be fingerprinted electronically at any Fieldprint Inc. location nationwide or any other fingerprinting agency approved to send electronic fingerprints to the Hawaii Criminal Justice Data Center (HCJDC).
- A license application must be filed within 30 days of the fingerprinting to ensure that the results are obtainable from the HCJDC. If the results are not obtainable, you will be required to obtain new fingerprints.
- The results take 3-4 days to get to the Hawaii Board of Nursing but you can receive a temporary license while your background check is processing.
8. Submit documentation requirements if you answered "yes" to any of the background questions (if applicable).