1. Create a profile online
2. Complete the application for Licensure by Endorsement online
- Provide a valid United States Social Security Number or submit the SSN Affidavit form
- Submit name change information (if applicable)
3. Complete the temporary nursing permit form (if applicable)
4. Pay the associated fees
5. Provide photocopies of all active nursing licenses and/or temporary licenses from other jurisdictions.
6. Official, notarized transcripts from your nursing school.
- You can open them yourself and upload a copy - your nursing school does not need to send them directly to the Illinois Board on Nursing.
7. Record of Licensure: list all other related or unrelated professional licenses held in Illinois or another state(s).
- If the state(s) participate in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Illinois as the receipt of the verification.
- If the state(s) does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Boards directly for further instructions. They will need to submit an official Verification of Licensure form to the Illinois Board of Nursing on your behalf.
8. Submit your fingerprints to the department - the results can be pending.
- Keep your fingerprint receipt until your license has been issued. The IDFPR may request it if any issues in the fingerprinting process arise.
- You can get your fingerprints done in Illinois through one of their approved vendors or you can get them done out of state (this will prolong the timing of your application).
- Either way, you choose to obtain your fingerprints, you can follow these simple steps.
9. Provide all personal history information including:
- Criminal History
- Felony Convictions
- Dishonorable discharge from military service
- Disease or conditions that may interfere with professional work
- Denial of a prior professional license
- Failure to comply with a child support order, defaulting on a student loan, or defaulting on taxes
10. If domestically educated, please provide the following:
- Education Form (ED-NUR) signed by the Dean or Director of your nursing program with the school seal affixed.
- A copy of your official transcripts with school seal affixed.
11. If foreign educated, please provide the following:
- CGFNS or ERES certification
- If you cannot provide CGFNS or ERES certification, please include the VisaScreen Program Certificate and Certification of Foreign Licensure Form (CT).
12. Temporary Military Permit (if applicable)
The Illinois Board of Nursing does not break out different processes for obtaining a temporary license vs a permanent. The Board recommends you complete all the required steps and they will decide if a temporary license is needed. Usually, if they are awaiting the results of your background check one will be issued.