1. Complete an application for Licensure by Endorsement online
2. Pay the associated fees
3. Verification of original state of licensure
- If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Washington, D.C. as the receipt of the verification.
- If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions.
4. Verification of all other licenses. You will be required to provide information about any other healthcare license you have held in any other state or country (indicating the license number, status, issuance and expiration date of each).
- If you do not have an active registered nurse license in another state, your license has been expired two years or less, and you have practiced as a registered nurse within the two year period preceding this application, submit verification from one state in which your license expiration date was less than two years ago.
5. Fingerprint and Complete Background Check
- If you're applying from within the D.C. area, you can schedule an appointment here
- If you're applying from outside the D.C. area, you can call L1 Enrollment at 1-877-783-4187 to pay for fingerprint processing and obtain a mailing address to send your fingerprint card